Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time flies when you're accomplishin' this much stuff on a Sunday

Wow, so much that I meant to do with this day, and now it's already 10:24 pm. Let's check off the accomplishments for the day:

  • Slept in a bit and then lazed about in bed reading the paper.
  • Took Katie the Beagle for a good walk.
  • Ate a yummy brunch cooked by Monique: fried egg sandwiches on English Muffins with a nice, sharp Irish cheddar. At long last a harmonious fate for the English and the Irish -- deposited in an American belly!
  • Futzed around on Facebook for a while.
  • Watched the recording of yesterday's Mecum Auto Auction. I loves me some classic autos for sale in high-def.
  • Wrote a note to Pete Cole, who tracked me down via Facebook.
  • Rescued Lenny the Lumpymobile from the body shop's parking lot. Lenny is no longer lumpy! Hurrah!!
  • Shopped at Costco: coffee, ziploc bags, dog food, sliced ham, oranges, chicken thighs, pasta, and a new portable external hard drive for the new laptop that's arriving next week -- on sale at $100 for 500 GB. That's 20 cents per gig. One of the programmers I used to work with told me the tale of when he was in college at the U of Michigan and helped put together the business case for buying an entire megabyte of memory, which they considered to be a real deal at about a million dollars.
  • Marveled that the sun was already setting as I drove home.
  • Washed the dishes.
  • Futzed around on Facebook a bit more.
  • Watched the Pistons lose to the Rockets.
  • Made a yummy stir fry with the chicken thighs I picked up at Costco, plus some curry, ginger, snow peas, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, scallions, red cabbage, a potato, and some coconut milk.
  • Ate the yummy stir fry.
  • Fed the dog.
  • Petted the dog.
  • Played with the dog.
  • Washed the newly dirtied dishes and made some coffee for the morning.
  • Petted the dog some more.
  • Watched a fifteen-minute special on the making of "Making of the Planet of the Apes".
  • Started writing today's blog entry.
... and now I seem to have fired up "My Darling Clementine" on the DVR, a John Ford western with Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan, Victor Mature, Ward bond, and a cast of favorites, so I reckon I might be done accomplishin' for the day.

Whew, that was a full day of accomplishment. A fellow keeps accomplishin' at that pace and he might end up well rested.

4 comments:

  1. I used to think that coconut milk was that watery stuff that came out of the coconut when you cracked it. But in Fiji, where they cook almost everything with coconut milk, I learned that they shred the coconut meat and then squeeze it to get the "milk." I have to admit, though, I've still never cooked anything with it.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. I ate a half of a very large carrot cake. That was about it.

    My husband hates coconut. I dream of cooking with coconut and coconut milk. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut milk hides in a lot of Thai food. I didn't really do anything too complicated with it, just threw it in at the end to soak up the curry and ginger flavor and to give us some sauce when we spread it all over rice.

    I would've gladly added half a carrot cake to my amazing list of accomplishments. When I wrote up that post I was mostly just trying to figure out how the heck I had wasted an entire Sunday without really accomplishing anything substantial at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm - I love coconut milk! Especially since I love Thai food. Since there's not a whole lot of ethnic restaurants in Saranac Lake, NY, I end up making everything myself. So I always have 3-4 cans on hand.

    ReplyDelete