Friday, January 9, 2009

Movie Review - One half of "Superbad"

Oooh, I just "walked out" on another movie at home last night, and this time Rotten Tomatoes differed as to its merits: Superbad (87% on the TomatoMeter.)

I have to admit that I was really disappointed. I really , really, really expected to like this movie a lot. I'm a big fan of the dumb teenage sex comedy genre, and I think Michael Cera's a genuinely funny young actor. So it seemed as if this should have been right in the groove. (And mind you, this review comes from a guy who even liked Beerfest.)

It wasn't actually terrible. But I just wasn't finding it funny. So after an hour I decided to turn it off and move on with my life. It could be that I just wasn't in the mood, but I think the real problem was that the writers mistook the f-word for a joke, so they never got around to writing actual jokes.

Oh well, comedies are kinda like that. Either they make you laugh or they don't, and that's ultimately the only valid measure of their merit.

No second opinon from Monique. She was asleep, which is why I was watching Superbad in the first place. It was on my list of "movies to watch when Monique isn't around" because it pretty obviously wasn't going to be her cup of tea. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it wasn't my cup of tea, either!

2 comments:

  1. The funny thing is I did the exact same thing a couple of months ago. You can imagine my surprise when I unwrapped Superbad as a present from dad.

    Maybe I'll actually get around to watching the whole thing, but don't count on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny ... a good deal funnier than the movie, now that I think about it.

    It may have scored 87% on the TomatoMeter, but it sounds as if the MageeoMeter gave it a 0%.

    ReplyDelete