Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Return of Mr. Crankypants

Yeah, yeah, I think I once said that I wasn't going to bitch about work in this blog, but it ain't me. Mr. Crankypants is in control of the keyboard, and I'm just along for the ride.

What does Mr. Crankypants want on this Thursday evening? He wants everbody to guess how much of my 9-5 in the past four days was *not* spent in either my two-day training session or in meetings on Monday and Thursday? Everybody ready? I want you to have a specific number of hours in mind. Don't defy Mr. Crankypants. You wouldn't like it when Mr. Crankypants gets angry.

Okay, here is the total: 90 minutes on Monday, and 15 minutes today.

I have to confess that I spent six or seven of those free minutes today in the can -- Oh my, this has suddenly become a too-much-information blog! -- but even had I crossed my legs all day, that would leave 1 hour and 45 minutes to answer assorted e-mails and phone calls, and to actually follow up on the assorted "action items" that I took away from some of those meetings.

What's that? Mr. Crankypants wants to play another guessing game? Okay, Mr. Crankypants, what do you want everybody to guess?

How many e-mails has John received in his work e-mail box so far this week? Oh, and Mr. Crankypants is feeling conservative, so we won't include any spam that made it through the filter. Here's a hint. Before the first sentence of this paragraph and this sentence, I received two more e-mails and wrote one answer.

Okay, does everybody have a guess? John's work e-mail inbox from Monday-Thursday at 7 pm has received 223 non-spam e-mails! Let's see, that's 223 e-mails and 105 free minutes. Oh my, Mr. Crankypants doesn't like that math. Nope, he doesn't like it one bit.

By the way, are you wondering what much of those two days of training was dedicated to?

Yeah, you guessed it. Avoiding the inappropriate overuse of meetings and e-mail.

2 comments:

  1. Quick! Somebody get Mr. Crankypants some wings and beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of wings and beer I cranked up the Grateful Dead Channel on the XM radio in my car, stopped by the comic book shop on my way home from work, had some delicious leftover pork stir fry for dinner, and watched an assortment of old fake news (Daily Shows and Colbert Reports that we had recorded but hadn't yet seen) and the good NBC Thursday night sitcoms ("My Name Is Earl", "The Office", and "30 Rock") all of which were on their game.

    Then, most importantly, I got eight full hours of sleep. That's really the only way to put Mr. Crankypants away for a while.

    ReplyDelete