Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ailing Sheep ... er, Beagle

Katie the Beagle had an upset tummy this morning. Fortunately, she didn't spit up anything all the way onto the floor, but she was coughing up a bit of something, and she wanted to go outside, which is unusual for her in the morning.

Out in her yard she immediately walked over to the hosta bed and began nibbling on the tender tall shoots of grass that poked up among the hostas, selecting out only the tastiest of leafs. By the time I had fetched the paper and made the coffee she had grazed quite a nice patch.

When we returned upstairs with paper and coffee, I told Monique that I believed we might have been mistaken about owning a beagle. Apparently, we owned a sheep.

"How can you tell the difference?" asked Monique.

"I'm not sure. Let's shave her and see if we can knit a sweater from her fur."

(Worry not, Katie the Beagle fans. Though her tummy was indeed upset earlier in the morning, she now seems to be resting quite comfortably and feeling better. And she remains unshaven.)

3 comments:

  1. It's with reief that I read of Katie's sheepish behavior at her own home. She engaged in similarly curious appetite during the week she spent at our house. I hoped it was merely homesickness and not some result of those "people delicacies" I spoiled her with at the end of the day.

    I had seen such preference for grass in cats but never in dogs before. Dogs don't normally suffer from hairballs, I was told. But why should dogs be less discerning than felines when it comes to finding remedies to tummy problems? And Katie is nothing if not a discerning pooch! B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cady the No-Longer-Terrible eats grass at every opportunity, and her stomach is feeling fine. She just likes grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for Cady the Not So Terrible's grazing activities. I actually thought about taping it and turning it into some sort of blog post about cow sitting. Then I decided to spend the last few weeks of her visit so tummy ill I didn't really want to get off of the couch instead. But it would have been good blog fodder I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete