Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Detroit AutoRama: Bitchin' Camaros and Other Muscle Cars

The other major type of car that you see in droves at a hot-rod and custom-car show like AutoRama are the muscle cars. I could've filled a dozen memory cards with photos of tasty muscle cars, but here are a few that particularly caught my eye.

AC Shelby Cobras new and old, a kit car and an original AC Shelby Cobra:


2006 Superformance Mk III Shelby Cobra kit car, owned by Mark Yagelo of Brighton, Michigan.



1964 AC Cobra-Hawk owned by Bill Darnell of Romulus, Michigan.



Check out the ghostly skulls and flames on this 2012 Chevrolet Camaro pro-modified drag car with a 648 ci big-block Chevy engine. The car is owned by Danny Mastronardi of Farmington, Ontario. It was built by SkinnyKids Race Cars with body and paint by Dimilo Auto Body.



Bitchin' Camaros.



One sweeeeeet green 1968 Mustang GT, owned by Lonnie Grooms of Shelby Township, Michigan.



This 1967 Buick Riviera Sport Coupe owned by Gil Morgan of Dearborn, Michigan, featured one of my favorite paint jobs of the show. I'm not sure the deep blue on this car really pops in this picture the way it did in person, but it was truly striking.




Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the 2014 Ridler Award winner as the best new hot rod in the show, this 1964 Buick Riviera Concept Custom owned by JF Laurier and built by JF Kustoms. To be honest, I kinda preferred the dark blue Riviera if I had to pick a Riviera to put in my own garage. (Yeah, I know. I'm a heathen.) But this was a truly spectacular build.



Here's a stripped Camaro body shell that one of the restoration companies had on display. (Sorry, I didn't catch whose display this was.) There were quite a few shells on display throughout the show, which made for a great look into the restoration process.



1970 Camaro owned by Robert Eickholt of Troy, Michigan. I loved this brilliant emerald green on this body shape.





Chevicious: a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle pro-tourer owned by Dave and Dianne Jaeger of Oregon, Ohio. That's a 600+ hp supercharged engine in there. Vicious, indeed! This car exuded menace thanks to the dark green paint job, which was another one of my favorite finishes in the show.





A plum-crazy 1971 Dodge Challenger with a white interior, owned by Greg & Marty Lyon of Troy, Michigan. This may be my all-time favorite car and color combination.





Nope, it's not a bitchin' Camaro; it's a bitchin' Firebird! To be specific, this is a 1967 Pontiac Firebird owned by Mark Evans of Chelsea, Michigan. This was another car with a spectacular paint job, in this case a chameleon paint that changes color among browns, golds, and greens, depending on the angle.



And finally, if you don't want to go through all the effort of building your own hot-rodded muscle car, you can just come on down to Richard Petty's place and he'll set you up with this 2014 Dodge Challenger by Petty, with a supercharged Hemi, custom suspension and a full aero package for just $67,995. I love the look of the retro-styled Challengers, and I had a fun time driving one around California last summer. But I think this car scares me a bit.

That might be a good thing.

Tomorrow's post? Super Bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment