Friday, June 19, 2009

Thunder God

Monique is the center of Katie the Beagle's universe,
The giver of lunch and walks,
The rubber of belly and scratcher of ears.
Monique is Freyja the Earth Goddess.
She makes the bunny rabbits appear,
Magically untangles the leash,
Saves the warm, dry beagle from little girls
Who want to drag the beagle
Through the cold water of the sprinkler,
When all a tired beagle really wants
Is to bask in warm sunlight.

And so it should be no surprise
That Katie the Beagle spends her days
Prostrate in a comfy bed,
Worshipping her Earth Goddess
Who types away the day
With her faithful beagle at her side.

It should be no suprise
That Katie the Beagle spends her nights
Curled in a comfy bed,
At the side of her Earth Goddess
Who slumbers away the night
With her faithful beagle at her side.

Except when the thunder strikes in the dark.

When the windows rattle and the walls shake,
And dark forces break the peace
With the clash of hammers and drums,
Then Katie the Beagle comes to my side of the bed
And sits in the dark, staring up at me,
Her shaking body lit only by flashes of lightning
As she asks for protection from the fury
That shakes her in the night.

Does she think I control the thunder?
Am I Thor, that I can call the storm into being
Then dismiss it with with a wave of my hand?
If Monique can be Freyja
Can I not control the skies?
Can I not call down the lightning?
Or return it to the clouds
To protect a wee beagle
From the wrath of nature unbound?

This may be a promotion.
Usually I am at best a minor beagle deity,
A lesser-known God of Liver Snaps,
Backup deity in the Pantheon of Ear Scratchers,
Obscure consort of the all-important Earth Goddess.

The God of Thunder bears more responsibility
Than the God of Liver Snaps.
A small frightened beagle in the night
Seeks audience with Thor,
But finds instead a sleepy scratcher of ears
As the windows rattle in the early morning dark.

But since the thunder eventually goes away,
Perhaps I am the Thunder God, too.

2 comments:

  1. I need a little arrow like they have on Facebook to say I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, John, I like this too, very much.
    It is funny that Katie turns to you when storms hit. She must find you strong, reassuring and comforting as I do, my dear Thunder God.

    ReplyDelete