Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Wacky Bachelor Weekend

Hmmn ... that post title sounds rather like the title of a dubious Judd Apatow comedy starring Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, several Wilson and Baldwin Brothers, Madonna, a random member of the cast of the American version of "The Office," Carrie Fisher, and Fritzi the Wonder Mule.

Nonetheless, I feel the documentary pressures of the blog demand a full accounting of what I did with my weekend while Monique was off in Milwaukee:

Saturday
  • Slept in
  • Ate some cereal on the porch and read the paper
  • Checked my fantasy baseball teams
  • Walked Katie the Beagle
  • Ate a salami sandwich
  • Watched some afternoon baseball (White Sox vs. Cubs)
  • Read comic books
  • Ate some nachos
  • Took a nap
  • Watched the Tigers play the Astros.
  • Posted a bit on a fantasy baseball board
  • Sat on the porch and watched the Commerce Lake fireworks
  • Fixed the subwoofer on my movie surround sound
  • Checked the subwoofer fix by watching the pod-racing scene of Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
  • Got sucked in and watched most of Phantom Menace (I must confess that I fast-forwarded through a lot of Jar-Jar Binks) plus 1/2 of Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
  • Went to bed
  • Comforted beagle, who was quite distraught that Monique had not yet returned.
Um, and it turns out that that may have been my big-accomplishment day. Today did, however, bear some resemblance:

Sunday
  • Slept in
  • Read some of the Sunday paper
  • Listened to "The Puzzler" on NPR Weekend Edition
  • Ate brunch on the porch (fried egg sandwiches on English muffins, and some cantelope)
  • Read a bit more of the paper
  • Watched some of the Sunday-morning talking heads
  • Took Katie the Beagle for a long walk
  • Ate some watermelon
  • Watered the potted plants
  • Returned the neighbor's goldfish
  • Watched the Tigers play the Astros
  • Lay in the hammock and read some more comic books
  • Cleaned the kitchen
  • Made a pizza pie (today's ingredients: artichoke hearts, eggplant, mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, onion, salami)
  • Ate some pizza pie
  • Watched the rest of Attack of the Clones.
Um, and that was pretty much it. Even I am astonished at how little I managed to do this weekend. It was mostly just 48 hours of me and the dog, hangin' out on a beautiful weekend on the lake. I wasn't even ambitious enough to go fishing, which may be the most pathetic thing I've ever written in this blog.

If you paid $10 for tickets to this movie, you should demand a refund. I guess a skilled screenwriter might do something with "returned the neighbor's goldfish" but I have a hard time seeing more than a brief Saturday Night Live skit coming out of that item. It hardly feels like a full-length feature film.

And, speaking of feature films, I've got Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith fired up and ready to go. Gosh, I hope it ends well for Anikan and Padmé. They seem like such a nice couple, I'm sure it'll turn out all right.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful weekend.

    We had an unexpected girls' night here when Rich took Shea to a friend's birthday party. We expected the boys to be gone all night- what with the frolicking and merriment and all. And how did we whoop it up here? I let Atlee stay up and extra hour until 10:00. At 9:00 or so, she, Greeley and I all enjoyed some evening Apple Jacks. Greeley and I watched a little Law and Order and went to bed. Wild women we are!!

    ReplyDelete