Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Intersection

I hit a sparrow as I drove in to work this morning.
I had slowed to go through an intersection.
He changed direction to fly up, away from me.
It was just a glancing blow on my windshield,
A soft, puffy thump of feathers in my vision ...

... and then he was gone, up, over the roof of my car.

When I looked back I saw
A flutter of grey and brown wings
Out of the corner of my eye.
But there were cars all about me,
And I don't know whether he was flying
Or falling.

And then I was through the intersection and saw no more.

I wish you well, little bird.
I hope the same feathers that help you fly
Spared you from my car,
And left you surprised but safe,
Singing a slightly indignant song
That begins:

I hit a windshield as I flew in to work this morning....

3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a nice telling of a sad little story. Nice.

    Now, a little note for Lenny-the-Lefty-Mobile--Hey, you have gotten into enough trouble lately so, you need to be more careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This little bird will have exciting stories to twitter to her babies...never try to cross highways during rush hour traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two completely different and yet equally wonderful poems.

    ReplyDelete