Friday, August 21, 2009

Deep Thoughts, Part 2: The Slovakian Rap-Master

Just a little e-mail exchange between me and Mary Campbell-Droze that cracked me up:


From: Campbell-Droze, Mary (GPMS)
Subject: From the Feb 2009 iss of Popular Music and Society "Constructing a Slovak identity in rap music"

In my 12 years here, I think that's about the niche-iest subject matter I've ever seen. The only way it would become niche-ier would be "Constructing a Slovak identity in rap music with beagle accompaniment."

----------------

From: Magee, John (GPMS)
Subject: RE: From the August 2009 diss of Popular Music and Society

Ah, yes, I remember Grandmaster Slav’s big breakout hit, “Bratislava, Slovakia”. There are those who thought it was too derivative of Grandmaster Flash’s “New York, New York”, but I just thought he was kickin’ it Old-School-Slav style:

Bratislava, Slovakia, big city of dreams
And everything Bratislavan, ain't the way that it seems
You might get fooled if you come from out of town
But I'm a hardcore Slav and know my way around

Too much, too many Slovaks, too much (aha-ha)
Too much, too many Slovaks, too much, Raaah!

DevĂ­n Castle on the rock, in crumbling stone
Built in the Eight Century, A.D.
Rows of eyes, broken out windows
Now it's fallin' down and weedy
Miles of Slovaks, Staromestska Avenue
Doin' what they gotta do, a Slav ain't alone
I'm living in the land of plenty and many
But I'm a damn poor Slav and I don't know why…


-----------------

From: Campbell-Droze, Mary (GPMS)
Subject: RE: From the August 2009 diss of Popular Music and Society

In one Grandmaster Sweep, you've managed to lock up the Slav vote on your next run for Wolverine Lake's water district chair! That, or alienated it so profoundly people who simply live next door to you won't even get elected to anything.

2 comments:

  1. Deservsa Pulitskaja Preyza!
    Arsenka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it's comments like that which dragged everybody into World War I.

    BTW, I see that this post has generated an interesting assortment for our three GoogleAds:

    1) Virtual office Slovakia
    virtual office management, seat, registered address, phone, fax
    www.companyhouse

    2)SofLens® Daily Freshness
    For A Fresh Lens Feeling Everyday. Try B&L Daily Disposables Lenses

    3) Kosice Slovakia Hotel
    Visiting Slovakia & Need a Hotel? Kosice Slovakia Hotel Bargains!

    #1 and #3 make plenty of sense. But #2 is a bit of a puzzler. Was there a study in which Slovaks were found to have significantly substandard vision?

    ReplyDelete