Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ol' Ball Game


It felt a bit like playing hookie today. Monique accidentally bought tickets for today's Tuesday afternoon Royals at Tigers baseball game because she thought it was a night game. I had originally scheduled both Monday and Tuesday morning off from work for a couple of village meetings. My Monday morning meeting got out unexpectedly early, plus I had a couple of errands I needed to run downtown, so I took the 1/2 day I had planned to take Monday morning, moved it to Tuesday afternoon, and Monique and I planned to head down to the ol' ball game.

The thing that made it feel like playing hookie was that my village finance meeting for this morning was canceled. I'm sure I wouldn't have scheduled the day off just to go to the ball game. But I was pretty happy to have done so when my alarm clock went off this morning.

And what a morning greeted us. It was rainy, blustery, and in every way totally unsuitable for baseball. So, we were a bit uncertain if there would even be a game. But the forecast predicted that the rain would end by noon with the clouds clearing out a couple of hours later, the game started right on time, and soon we were eating a hot dog lunch at the ballpark. To make a long game short, Dontrelle Willis pitched about as badly as we've come to expect, but then after he left the game the Kansas City bullpen pitched even worse. Fast-forward to a 9th-inning save by Jose "The Big Potato" Valverde, and the Tigers had won a very exciting come-from-behind 6-5 victory.

How did Monique feel about it? She was dancin' in the stands!

7 comments:

  1. And have you ever noticed just how many fonts can be seen at a standard baseball park these days? Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't compete with someone who plays hookey to generate blog content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure it qualifies as hookie if you schedule a vacation day for it. But it kinda felt like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOOKIE OR NO HOOKIE, three cheers for the Tigers! "It's a start", Arsen always says to me during our game times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monique looks like Stella in most of her photos. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always working, Monique, aren't you, even during a ballgame!! Looks like it was a nice event!

    ReplyDelete