Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Big Road Trip: Day Zero - The Dream Cruise

As many of you know, Monique and I are off on a big road trip for the next couple of weeks. We're bringing our nephews Malcolm and Henry along on an expedition to the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Rocky Mountains and -- if everything works out right -- the World's Largest Ball of Twine.

Sadly, the Corn Palace is under construction in 2014.

I hope to bring you a few blog posts from the road. But before the trip, Arsen, Henry, Malcolm, and I warmed up by taking our dream car -- the 1999 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Supercharged saloon -- to the world's largest automotive event, The Dream Cruise! Here are a few photos, plus my thanks to Malcolm and Henry for wielding the camera while I drove.


Loaded up in the dream car and ready for The Dream Cruise.



If it looks like the World's Largest Traffic Jam on Woodward Ave., it must be The Dream Cruise.



Arsen said, "I hope I see a Studebaker today." Not two minutes later ... a Studebaker appeared behind us.


1973 VW Thing, presented over burled walnut.



I've never before seen the big rims on a mid-70s Stingray. It looked a lot better than I would've thought.



This Buick Riviera found a small window in the left lane, punched the accelerator, and flew by the backed up traffic ... all the way into the hands of this waiting cop.




Starsky & Hutch in the house.



Thunderbird.



MG Midget.

Now here comes an awesome looking dream cruiser:




There goes an awesome looking dream cruiser....

1 comment:

  1. Why does that Dream Jag look so green in that first photo? It's realistic color, as I seem to remember, is a very elegant dark blue... could it be the overcast sky on the day of departure on that BIG trip?.

    ReplyDelete