Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The 2011 Reading List

This year I'm going to try a new variation of last year's reading-list project. I enjoyed tracking and reviewing my book reading last year, but it got to be a bit of a chore at times. And frankly, I think it also kept me from blogging about other things that might have been of more interest to you, gentle reader. And here at the Patio Boat blog, it's all about you, gentle reader. Or about Katie the Beagle. Or maybe the Indianapolis Colts, if Mary Campbell-Droze has seized the haiku helm.

Anyway, the point is that I don't particularly think the blogosphere has been hanging on my every word about every book I read last year. Nor did I think the blogosphere should have been hanging on my every random review word. It was pretty much an exercise to force me to take a closer look at my own reading habits. I did, however, think that the exercise benefited me, and so I'd like to continue it this year, but in a more manageable manner.

So for 2011 I'm just going to put current books that I'm actively reading in the sidebar, and I'll compile the "finished" list here on this post, along with any brief review I feel like adding. I'll also add any "On hiatus" or "Gave up" books, so as not to clog up the "current" list with books that I'm not actively reading.

And if I read something truly review-worthy, I'll just post a full review when and if I feel like it. So, here it is, the 2011 Reading List:

On Hiatus
--High Seas Cthulu (2009), ed. by William Jones -- A collection of Lovecraftian short stories set on the high seas.
--The Children of Hurin (2009) by J.R.R. Tolkien -- Sadly somnabulant.

Gave Up


Finished
--Eric (1990) by Terry Pratchett -- Rincewind is back, and up to his usual tricks, this time mixed up with a bunch of demons from Hell. Hardly the most significant Discworld novel, but a fun, quick read.
--Atomic City Tales, Vol. 1: Go Power! (2002) by Jay Stephens -- Collects up a batch of comic zines from the 90s. I rescued it from a discount bin, but alas it really wasn't my cup of tea, despite a few fun bits.
--The Callahan Chronicles (1997) by Spider Robinson -- Collects up all of the original Callahan short stories that were actually set in Callahan's Saloon in the collections: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977), Time Travelers Strictly Cash (1979), and Callahan's Secret (1986). One of my favorite short-story series, and always a good re-read.
--Off the Wall at Callahan's (1994) by Spider Robinson -- A collection of quotes from Spider Robinson's Callahan's series. Strictly for completists.
--I Shall Wear Midnight (2010) by Terry Pratchett -- A Discworld novel about young with Tiffany Aching. Pratchett is still writing great Discworld novels, despite his health problems.
--Deathworld (1960) by Harry Harrison -- Classic planetary sci-fi by a true master: a gambler finds himself on the galaxy's deadliest planet, a planet that is quite literally trying to kill its human inhabitants.
--Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific (1957) by Robert Leckie -- Leckie's memoir of life as a Marine during World War II, including battles at Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, and Peleliu.
--The Complete Peanuts: 1955 to 1956 (2005) by Charles Schulz; Gary Groth, ed.
--Yu+Me: dream, Vol. 1. (2009) by Megan Rose Gedris (Review)
--Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Vol. 1 (2010) by Jeremy A. Bastian (Review)
--Swallow Me Whole (2008) by Nate Powell (Review)
--With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa (1981) by Eugene B. Sledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment