Sunday, July 28, 2019

A fun day with the FUN MG in photos, part 1: vintage racing

It's been a while since I've done any automotive photoblogging, and I do have a few good pictures to share from this spring...



... such as this photo of our new MG TD!

 But for now you'll all have to settle for a giant two-part photo dump from a fun day I had yesterday with my MGB.

First up was an afternoon stop at the vintage races at the Waterford Hills Racetrack. I got to take the FUN MG on some parade laps on the track itself(!!!), looked at some other lovely British cars, walked around the paddock a bit, and watched some on-track action.

I invite you to enjoy it along with me and the FUN MG:


We're here!



Just a nice little Triumph Spitfire.

And now, some pretty, pretty MGAs...










Parade laps on the track!

We never went all that fast ... maybe 60 or 65 on the backstretch. But it was way fun and a good chance to whip around some corners with a bit of speed.

I'm pretty sure I handled it just like Lewis Hamilton.






Then I walked around the paddock a bit and watched people working on their cars -- getting ready for their sessions or buttoning things up after a session. If you're ever at a race track, it's worth getting access to the paddock. You see a lot more of what goes on than if you just sit on the outside and watch the cars going in circles.






Can I come out and play?

And now, a bit of racing. First some midgets:







Then the bigger cars:




These two Corvettes were very equally matched and swapped places for 2nd and 3rd a few times...


.
... until #90 pushed just a bit too hard towards the end and spun out!






Fortunately, no Corvettes were harmed in the spinning, but the yellow Corvette left was well ahead by the time #90 got back on the track.



Next up, Part 2: The British Invasion, plus a nice dinnertime lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment