Thursday, June 14, 2018

So long, and thanks for all the fish stocking.

A bit of news from me -- I've decided not to run for another term on the Wolverine Lake Village Council this fall. Twelve years as our Village President has been a good run, but it's time to let somebody else pick up the gavel.

I didn't run for council in the first place to become El Presidente for Life. When I joined our council, our village faced some serious financial challenges. I thought I could help us work our way through them. Thanks to a huge amount of work by a ton of people: staff, boards, volunteers, and my fellow council people, we made it through the hard times and emerged better than ever. There aren't enough thank-yous in all the world to cover everybody who helped us get to this point.

I'm really happy with where the village is right now. The finances are rock solid and the leadership team is strong. It's a good time to bring in some new energy and some new ideas to the council table.

Democracy is participatory. From potholes to police and from fish stocking to financing sewers, you'll find there's a heck of a lot more that goes into making a municipality work than you ever imagined. And you'll find that there are a lot more great people making it work than you ever imagined.

The deadline for filing to run for council is July 24. Nominating petitions and an affidavit of identity must be returned to Commerce Township by 4 pm on that date. You can pick up an information packet and petition at Village Hall or the Commerce Township Clerk’s office.

Have at it folks.


Meanwhile, what's next for me? I have no idea. I'll be around. I'm not disappearing. I tend to get involved in things, so I'm sure something will come along. In the meantime, there might just be a few extra naps and a bit more time on the ol' pontoon boat.

So long, and thanks for all the fish stocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment