Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Final Straw: Unfit for Any Office

Okay, my Republican amigos. By making a public statement last night that essentially called for somebody to shoot his opponent, Donald Trump has given you permission to abandon the top of your ticket.

And if you're trying to pretend today that Trump didn't call for somebody to shoot Clinton, you're sitting here in denial trying to defend the indefensible. Go back, take a look at the video. He knows what he was saying. I know what he was saying. And you know what he was saying.

If you still support him after witnessing that, you need to take a deep look in the mirror.

I'm not going to list all the other appalling things he has said throughout this campaign here. Lord knows we're awash in them. And I get it. Those of you who have supported Trump were hoping for a Ross Perot with glamour. But set aside what you hoped for, and please stop for a minute take a good look at what you do have.

Would you hire that man for a job opening in your own organization? Any job opening?

Because if you wouldn't, why would you hire him to be President of the United States?

Do you call yourself a Christian? If so, take a good long think about what Christ would say about supporting that man.

Do you call yourself a patriot? If so, why would you support a man who has called for violating the most fundamental basis of our nation. We don't shoot each other to decide who is president. We vote.

Believe me, I understand not wanting to vote for Hillary Clinton. That's fine. Go take a look at the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson. I don't agree with him on a lot of policy issues, but he's a serious man who is qualified to be President. (And as he says, if everybody who doesn't want to vote for Trump or Hillary votes for him, he'll win this election.)

The time for pretending that Donald Trump is just a garden-variety businessman turned politician has passed. Through a quirk of the primary campaign a minority of Republican voters has put a man who is grossly unfit for office at the top of the Republican ticket. I feel bad for you my Republican friends because I know it greatly pains many of you. But the time has come for you to stand up for what's right.

If you fail to do so, you're just as bad as Trump himself.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps those who have been vacillating about withdrawing their endorsement from this candidate (good grief...who can still stand to look in the mirror at him- or herself), should simply find his/her spine and not ignore their own principles and values, I am sure they will find some there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am a registered Republican but at no time considered Trump. At this point, I would vote for Satan sooner than Trump. I may vote for Gary Johnson if NY is solidly for Hillary. But if she needs my vote to defeat Trump, she gets it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to all of my Republican friends who have already publicly disavowed Trump. I know it's hard to go against the party, but at least you're able to sleep with a clean conscience.

      Delete