Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Fast Ride in Search of a Sunset

Another day in Northern California, another cruise out to the coast to catch a sunset ... or so I thought.

When I got out to San Gregorio today, the coast was totally socked in by a fogbank. So I started driving south on Route 1 to see if I might be able to see the sun farther down the coast.  That may sound foolishly optimistic, but I've seen it happen quite a few times before.  And what the heck, I was on Route 1 in a fast car.

First stop, the foggy rocky shores of Pescadero:







Lovely glamour shots of a Dodge Challenger in a fogbank, but no sunset. Onwards!

Finally, just around the time I hit the Santa Cruz County line and Big Basin State Park, I got ahead of the fog bank.





But I could tell by the way the fog was still rolling in that I'd probably need to make it another 50 miles down the coast if I wanted a sunset.  Sigh.  I gave up the chase and decided to turn around and head back up the coast.  At least the fog had discouraged the tourists, so I could blast back up Route 1 at an unsavory speed in my ridiculous muscle car with nary a bit of traffic ahead to slow me down....

Hey, where'd this guy in the anti-muscle car come from?



As you might imagine, the Challenger made quick work of this cute obstacle.

Then much to my surprise, as I neared Half Moon Bay a crack in the fog appeared!


I pulled over and took a look.  Somewhere out there, across the farm fields, the beaches, and the waves, a sunset was trying to crack through the fog!






I hopped back in the car, drove up the coast a bit further, took the first left-hand turn I could find, and headed out to the coast.  The sunset chase was back on!

As I drove on a little side road out to the beach, a bright orange Sun dropped beneath the clouds and took a brilliant plunge into the sea. Truly spectacular.  Alas, I was driving and didn't capture a picture.

But I did stop the car, jump out, and take these two photos about ten seconds later. It looks like it was a very pretty sunset on Pillar Point, if you happened to be there:



And a few minutes later I got down to the beach and enjoyed a very pretty afterglow. The light coming in under the fog and reflecting off the water was really something special:



And so it was that my fast ride on the coast did indeed find a sunset, though hardly where I expected to see one and long after I'd given up hope!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, those are some wild photos! Cool. Thanks for the story and photos, and the laugh my dear.

    That turned out surprisingly well. I guess it's a reminder to never give up hope. By the way, that while challenger looks great in a fog bank... The fog suits his color and his sneer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, the shots of sunset through a break in the fog are truly cool looking, like fire.

    ReplyDelete