Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sleepy doggerel of unknown origin

Arsen posted an interesting item on Ghulf Genes today (Morning Red, Evening Dead!) on the German phrase "Morgen rot" and its origins and meaning.  I, of course, had nothing so useful to post in reply, but a bit of a phrase I once heard came to mind and I produced this bit of doggerel:

"The early bird gets the worm,"
Or so the much used phrase is turned.
A worm for breakfast? I'd feel forsaken!
The late bird dines on eggs and bacon.

The exact phrasing is probably mine, since I couldn't remember where I'd heard the bit about the late bird dining on bacon and eggs or how I'd heard it phrased.  I wish I could tell you where the concept comes from, but if anybody knows a source for it, let me know and I'll be happy to cite it and its origin properly.

Regardless, I like it!  It makes me want to write an entire book of anti-nursery rhymes.

No comments:

Post a Comment